Associate LS-CAT Members
LS-CAT is pleased to offer Associate LS-CAT Membership to qualified organizations. This program allows participants to
- Obtain the right of first refusal for particular dates on the schedule
- Procure the beamtime you need
- Schedule beamtime in 1 hour, 8 hour, or 1 day blocks
- Be treated as a CAT member for purposes of calculating the APS cost recovery charges
- Q: Does becoming an Associate CAT Member require a large capital investment?
A: No. Associate CAT Membership requires a minimum commitment but not a large capital investment.
- Q: Why would LS-CAT Members allow this?
A: LS-CAT was founded on the idea that a small number of
collaborators sharing a state-of-art facility would be able to
perform experiments in new ways and/or greatly expand their
research programs. This, however, does not happen overnight:
while the LS-CAT members as a whole ramp up their beamtime needs
there will be opportunities for others to fully utilize the
- Q: Can I use beamtime obtained under the LS-CAT Associate CAT Member Program for proprietary work?
A: Yes. Proprietary work is always welcome at LS-CAT
- Q: Why can't I just use the APS General User Program to collect data at LS-CAT?
A: You can! LS-CAT is one of the largest providers of beamtime
to the APS General User Program. If you find that the APS
General User Program meets your needs we completely support your
efforts to use it. Note that LS-CAT welcomes academic,
educational, and industrial use through
the APS GU Program.
Q: So why would my organization join LS-CAT as an associate
member when we can use LS-CAT for free under the general user
A: There are a few reasons:
- Member's proprietary charges are based on actual usage, not the time scheduled
- Proprietary work under the Associate CAT Member Program resulting in APS cost recovery charges is not subject to peer review
- Scheduling commitments can be made much further in advance
- Associate CAT Members may schedule blocks of time as short as 1 hour
Q: Can Associate CAT Members use LS-CAT for non-proprietary work,
academic research, or educational use?
A: Yes. As part of our mission LS-CAT we encourage this use and
are developing outreach programs that utilize this avenue of access.
Q: May LS-CAT Associate CAT Members use LS-CAT through the
APS General User Program?
A: No. You have to decide which you are, an LS-CAT Associate
CAT Member or a General User. You may use other facilities at
the APS as a general user, though.
Please contact Keith
Brister by email or phone (1-630-343-9532) to learn more about the
LS-CAT Associate CAT Member Program.